The village of Marcellus Board of Trustees met last week with William Lucchetti, owner of the Lower Crown Mill, to discuss the terms of the building’s demolition. The North and West wings of the building were condemned by the board in August, deemed a danger to the public’s safety, with demolition ordered to commence by Sept. 23.
According to Mayor John Curtin, Lucchetti wishes to demolish the building himself but asked to be given additional time to resolve some litigation issues before beginning.
Village Codes Enforcement Officer Bill Reagan recommended the site be secured with a 6-foot tall chain-linked fence marked no trespassing, with keys provided to the village. According to Curtin, Lucchetti is waiting for the approval of his attorney to put up the fence.
“With the fencing in place, demolition can begin and be completed within a month or two,” Curtin said.
Curtin added that Lucchetti wishes to preserve the first two floors of the North wing. Lucchetti declined to comment on any questions regarding the lower mill.
Village Codes Enforcement Officer Bill Reagan noted that Lucchetti would need to obtain a building permit for structural repairs in order to stabilize the building, requiring he submit drawings approved by an architect. A timeframe would also be required for the commencement and completion of the stabilization, as well as for the commencement of the demolition work.
Village Attorney Jeff Brown, who has spoken with Lucchetti’s attorney, said he should have a better idea of the status of the demolition by the end of the week.